Saturday, May 13, 2006

Love-na enna?

Ennaku oru unmai therinjaaganum!!!! This topic is based on the ongoing fired up discussion between me and my "imsai arasi 23-aam jaansi raani" friend Shuba :P lol. The discussion is about "true" love. I am just wondering what is love in the first place! Ennaku therinchathu love is something that is selfless. Appadi paarthaal, only 2 can provide selfless love.

1) MOTHER - An epitome of pure selfless divine love.

2) GOD

1) and 2) are synonymous because of the selfless nature in them. I have experienced 1) and 2) in abundance.

But love between man and woman - huh? Is that selfless? I dont think so..I have never experienced it!! I dont think I will ever experience it - since I STRONGLY think it does not exist! Will a woman love a man - if he doesnt love her back! I dont think so - maybe, because of thaali sentiments - there would be no other way then staying around with him. Now, I may end up getting comments such as love between man and woman is different compared to mother and son! How can LOVE have 2 different meanings?? Tamil-il kaadal - paasam endru irukirathu..I want to know what is Kaadal!! If LOVE is pure, then there shouldnt be a second definition. Ennaku therinchu so called LOVE between man and woman is just mutual attraction. Something that is bodily or something that is based on certain characteristics/qualities..

If love is true, y should we always want to marry some person - y cant we accept that person as a brother or sister? When "a girl" told "a guy" that I would like to marry to you because I LOVE u, "the guy" replied back saying if you like me - then consider me as your brother - and not the other way around. The "girl" started crying! Why on earth did she cry?? Why do we want to marry someone if you "LOVE" someone? So that means "LOVE" has 2 different meanings! How can that be? I have been thinking about this question for quite a long time now? Once during a discussion about the so called LOVE between man and woman with my best friend Muthu, Muthu told me, "Arjuna, think about it - do you think you "LOVE" someone so much, that you want to marry her? Ask yourself Arjuna when ur in LOVE, y do u want to marry her??" This question got me into thinking mode! I couldnt answer it! Do I "LOVE" someone? I thought I loved everybody - because I thought love is selfless! But I could never understand that particular definition of "LOVE" between a man and woman! I think its high time, an etymologist gives a new word for the so called "LOVE" between man and woman! Intha problathala - I am not able to say "I LOVE U" to some of my friends who r gals! I have to end up saying "I like u"!

20 Comments:

Blogger Jeevan said...

If we see the meaning for Love in tamil it is Anbu. if i tell "my loved one" every one will think that this boy was love (kathal) with some one. In tamil that meaning is "ennudaiya anbula oruthar".

If we tell to our sister I Love You, she we take that naba annan namba mella romba pasama irukkan. if we tell the same to a new girls or our Girl friend, they will understand that in different angle. ennaku tharitha varai Love means anbu, if i got love on a beautiful girl that will be just a crush, it comes form seeing her beauty.

10:24 AM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Butterflies said...

Hey...seems u r confused....mothers love is divine love...u might feel protective about your sister that protectiveness is due to a luv that im her brother....she shd be safe no harm shd be inflicted to her....but when u like a girl( not in the sister sense) then in taht caseu feel possessive on her...a feeling taht says she is yours no one shd admire her in wrong perspective and vice versa....hope u understand...the concept is selflessness...but outcomes are different

1:18 PM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Neenga unga wife-a love pannama vera enna pannuveenga??

As Jeevan said, telling 'I love u' is different in different context.

Love panra Kaadhali life long-a namma koodave irukanumnu nenaikalam....but sister-a apdi nenaika mudiyaadhu

7:28 PM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

jeeevan - ungal karuthuku mirka nandri :)...

7:36 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

shuba - thanks

7:36 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Bala - I dont know whether I wuld "love" my wife..since I am not married yet :)..It depends on how she is..there is a strong possibility of a divorce too..So I am not sure abt this :) - thanks for ur comment :)

7:40 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Radhika - wow well said - now here is someone who concurs with my views :)..I always thought "love" between man and woman is just mere physical attraction called Lust rather than pure "LOVE"..Very well said Radhika :)..

Regd my marriage and LOVE - as I have mentioned to Bala - there is a my intuitions always said that I wuld end up in a divorce if I get married..I dont think any gal can live with me :)..And so I am considering a pre-nuptial agreement b4 marriage! Sounds crazy? LOL

7:44 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Radhika - forgot to add - infact when I tell my mother abt the divorce thingie - she gets wild - but I dont know - something tells me that my marriage life wuld never be successful..Lets wait and c..:)

7:47 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Radhika - one more thing :)..And I dont except anything from my marriage either :)..So it doesnt matter :)..Wuld make this very clear to any gal whom I am marrying..Its upto her to take the risk! So I guess no gal on earth wuld ever take this kind of a risk LOL..

7:48 AM, May 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I may add the following text by Kahlil Gibran on marriage and love.

"Aye,you shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.You shall be together even in the silent memory of God.

But let there by spaces in your togetherness.

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fill each others cup but not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.

Sing and dance together and be joyous but each one of you be alone.

Give your hearts but not into each other's keeping.

And stand together yet not too near together:

For the pillars of temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow"....

The above lines are the best that I read on marriage...

Possessiveness is considered as love and is hurting people.

9:12 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Wow - beautiful lines Karthik - thanks a lot for these great lines :)..

8:46 PM, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Radhika - sure I wuld follow ur advice :)..The reason y I was telling my wife may end up kicking me is I am so boring - yawwwwwn :))

8:47 PM, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

thouga - great points there :)..Agreeable too :)..Thanks a lot for dropping in :)..

8:48 PM, May 15, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Parvati -

"I think that the solution is simple. Love all and marry one of them."

Absolutely brilliant lines :)) LOL..

Very good points there Parvati..No the reason y I was talking abt divorce is as I told to Radhika - I consider myself as so boring - u know that (birthday - staying home - not going with family ;) ) - I am such a unromantic person :))..So any gal who marries me wuld think what on earth is he :)..that's what I felt..Moreover, I am not a party animal or I am not some one who can be influenced or changed..So if my wife expects too much from me - then she is going to face an uphill task living with me :)..thats what I meant :)..thanks for ur wonderful comment Parvati :)

8:53 PM, May 15, 2006  
Blogger sunshine said...

Hy came to your blog. Its really nice. BTW... I would like give a comment on ur post. The answer lies in your post itself.

The word "Love" is same all over the world. Just that it takes different forms depending on the person whom you are sharing with. You cant be romantic with your sister or your mother. You can show a brotherly or motherly love to them only. I think jeevan has given a beautiful comment on this topic. Even karthik has given a very good thought about love.

I think its time you love a girl and find out what is the difference between the both. Just Kidding!

6:39 AM, May 16, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Sunshine - thanks for showing me the light to Love :)..Sure wuld try to find someone to love :))..thanks for dropping in :)

7:11 PM, May 16, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Shanmugapriya - no I wont accept that wife's love is selfless..thaayiku pin thaaranum sonnathey atha mean panni thaan :)..ellam verum thaali sentiment :)
Shanmugapriya - ulla irukira nalla manasai eppadi therinjukirathu?? how can u be sure that she is not acting? nallava maari nadikalainu eppadi solrathu?

9:08 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Gnana Kirukan said...

Veda - well said - valid points :)

"how many are there who luv their life partners till their lifetime."

Very true - from my 28 yr experience - I have very rarely seen husband and wife being happy with each other :( - Sad reality!

7:30 PM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger Celia said...

Try torturing a mother for a long time , indulge in all kinda prodigal acts and check out whether she still loves you.

Love is mutual and has to be nurtured. It can definitely die down if left unattended.

Also, I can't agree with the fact that 'kadhal' is just body attraction.

8:15 AM, May 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A player in the making.

7:50 AM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home